Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 25, 2010

One Heck of an Evening (Subtitle: Swim Diapers Don't Hold Pee)

Nope, they don't. The swim diapers, I mean. I'll explain: Stan and Tali and I got home from the pool today around 5pm. We had plans to quickly get Tali back into her normal clothes (which probably should've happened while we were still AT the pool...) but I stopped to use the bathroom (since Isaac is continuing in his bladder-squishing ways)....and in the mean time puddles "appeared" in the bathroom and in the hallway...courtesy of our sweet bug who was still in her swim diaper.... Thankfully they are tiled floors and weren't too difficult to clean up.

Unfortunately, things didn't really improve from there. Tali proceeded to test EVERY limit and boundary for the entire rest of the evening. I'll tell you...This girl is SO stinkin' CUTE but is definitely at "that stage" where boundaries MUST be tested. "Tali, sit down on your bottom on the couch. If you stand up, you'll fall off...OWIE!" (Stands up and GRINS at me.) "Tali, EAT your food. Keep it ON your tray. No drop, sweetie..." (Tali: "I drop!" with a "look at me, I'm cute" voice.) "Tali, sit down in the bath tub." (Stands and grins.)

She knows exactly what I'm saying and is testing to see what the response will be when she doesn't obey. Such a smart kid.... And SO frustrating on nights like tonight where I have just "had it up to here" (wherever "here" is).

I did have some victory in my own heart during bath time. God reminded me of the quote from the movie Fireproof where his buddy at the fire station says, "You can't follow your heart....you have to LEAD your heart." So I decided to just make myself start ACTING like I was really enjoying her (instead of just going thru the motions of giving her a bath without really connecting with her)....and within a minute or to I was back to genuinely enjoying her. :) AND THEN.....

I made the mistake of running into our room post bath to grab pj's for her from the clean laundry BEFORE I put her diaper on.... and she of course followed me into our room.... and stood there and PEED on our carpet! Aaarrgh! Man.... for REAL?!

A('NOTHER) sponge bath, a diaper and pj's, and some carpet cleaner later....it was finally time to put her to bed. She cuddled with me so sweetly while we rocked and sang and prayed, and pretty much instantly, my frustration melted away..... into a puddle of pure exhaustion. Whew, I'm tired. Too tired to even make banana bread... and THAT, my friends, is TIRED.

Annnnnnnd, that is the story of my insane evening. It'd been a while since I'd blogged.... so just thought I'd share. Sorry there's nothing more profound here..... maybe next time. :)

1 comment:

Becca said...

thanks for making me laugh! and what a good reminder. we have to choose to be happy and thankful in the moment. it makes a huge difference. i am right there with you on that. :)